I am a historical sociologist studying development, social policy, and political economy of the global South.
My first book, A Social Revolution: Politics and the Welfare State in Iran, is published by University of California Press. (Read the introduction & first chapter.)
My current research projects focus on:
- Welfare politics in middle and low-income countries
- Business-state relations in Iran
- History of social policy in West Asia and North Africa
- Occupational and class mobility in Iran before and after 1979
- Survey research in developing countries
I am on the Editorial Committee of MERIP and a UCLA faculty advisor to the Center for Near Eastern Studies, the Program on Central Asia, the Asia Pacific Center, and the Center for Social Theory and Comparative History.